BARCELONA, (Reuters) – Barcelona are on the verge of sacking coach Ernesto Valverde and apppoint former Real Betis coach Quique Setien as his replacement, Spanish media reported on Monday. Inaki Ibanez, Valverde’s representative, told Spanish television station MEGA the coach is waiting for his exit package to be agreed.“Ernesto is waiting for them to rescind his contract, it’s not the best moment for any coach,” said Ibanez outside Camp Nou late Monday.Valverde took charge of training earlier in the day and met with president Josep Maria Bartomeu before a board meeting, in which it was agreed that the coach would be sacked even though the Catalans top the league standings at the halfway point of the campaign. The 55-year-old led Barcelona to successive La Liga titles in 2018 and 2019 and one Copa del Rey since joining the club in 2017, although his failure to win the Champions League weakened his footing at the club.A 2-2 draw with bottom-of-the-table Espanyol and last week’s Spanish Super Cup defeat by Atletico Madrid turned the tide against the coach.Diario Sport and Marca reported Setien has agreed a contract to take over at Barcelona. Setien, 61, coached Real Betis last season but left by mutual consent after leading the club to a 10th-place finish.The former Atletico Madrid and Racing Santander player is known for his possession football and attacking gameplan, which suits the way Barcelona were known for playing in the iconic Pep Guardiola era.Setien’s Betis beat Barcelona 4-3 to become the first team in over two years to win at the Camp Nou in November 2018.
Guyanese Manzoor Ali and Duane Peters have been selected to represent the Caribbean Karate Federation (CKF) at the upcoming World Union Karate Federation (WUKF) Championship in Poland. The notice of the Guyanese’s selection was conveyed via a press statement from the first Vice – President of the Federation Darren Nurse. The International championships, which are expected to field over 2000 athletes, hailing from 40 different countries will be held during July 1– 5 this year. The two Guyanese represent the Banks DIH Karate club locally which is located at Thirst Park. Their selection was premised on their excellent showing at the Guyana Senior National Karate Championships 2019 in the under 75 kg category where Ali won gold while Peters copped silver to book their spots.
LONDON, (Reuters) – Britain’s most iconic steeplechase the Grand National has been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Jockey Club said yesterday as the country ramped up its response to the crisis. The festival, first staged in 1839, was due to take place from April 2-4 at Aintree.“Following the government’s new public health guidance regarding avoiding social contact and stopping non-essential travel, and its statement that emergency services are withdrawn from supporting mass gatherings from tomorrow (Tuesday), the Jockey Club has decided that it is no longer appropriate to stage the event,” it said.Earlier yesterday, the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) announced that all racing in Britain would take place behind closed doors from today. The Jockey Club said it had considered holding the Grand National without fans on the course but that was not viable.“The Grand National Festival was just three weeks away and it’s very clear to us it will not be possible for the event to take place,” Sandy Dudgeon, senior steward of the Jockey Club, said. “Public health must come first.“We were working on a plan to stage the Grand National behind closed doors, given its importance to the racing industry and beyond, but following the new government measures confirmed this evening to help tackle the coronavirus outbreak, this is not a viable option. “I know this is hugely disappointing news for the many people who work in our sport and the many millions who were looking forward to this year’s event, but very sadly these are exceptional times and this is the responsible thing to do.”Earlier yesterday, the University Boat Race, held between Oxford and Cambridge, was also cancelled as the coronavirus outbreak continued to decimate the British sports calendar.It is the first time the race will not be held since the Second World War.
Captain of the Guyana Jaguars, Leon Johnson, has expressed his satisfaction with the output of newcomers, Nial Smith and Kevin Sinclair during the prematurely concluded West Indies Championship. Speaking recently on the Barbados radio programme, Mason and Guests, the out-of-favor West Indies batsman said, “Nial Smith, who got 20 wickets in the seven games he played, he started well. I think he was one of the bowlers that were very unlucky because of the chances that went down off of him,” while noting, “I think young Sinclair, he didn’t bowl the amount of overs he should have, being one of the leading spinners in the team but did a decent job. He got a lot to learn in terms of the longer format of the game but he is very enthusiastic and someone for the future.”Smith, a 24-year-old fast bowler and son of former national coach, Albert Smith, finished with an average of 29.30 and an economy rate of 3.48. The pacer hit the ground running by picking up his best figures of six for 55 on debut against Leeward Islands Hurricanes in the opening round of the tournament.
(Reuters) – Jonny Bairstow is keen to return to England’s test squad and also wants to help the team retain their 50-overs World Cup title in 2023, the 30-year-old has said. Bairstow played the last of his 70 tests in South Africa in December and was left out of last month’s home series against West Indies as well as the first test against Pakistan, beginning on Wednesday.A test recall “is my burning ambition, but the only way I’m going to do that is to score runs, starting in this ODI series,” he told Sky Sports after his quick-fire 82 secured England’s four-wicket victory in the second One Day International against Ireland on Saturday in Southampton, England.“I’m hopefully going back to Yorkshire to play two four-day games in between this and the T20s. So yeah, the journey to hopefully get back into contention for that starts here.” An important cog in England’s limited-overs squads, he reached his 50 against Ireland in just 21 deliveries – the matching the fastest by an Englishman in one-day cricket.Bairstow reached the 3,000-run milestone in one-day cricket on Saturday and has now set his sights on helping England retain the World Cup he and his teammates won on home soil last year.“We try and reach 4,000, we try and reach even more than that, as long as you’re contributing to the team and playing the way we have been over the last few years. “We’re striving to keep pushing those boundaries forward to 2023. That’s my next bit – I want to be there in 2023 and really pushing and see if we can retain it.”
MANCHESTER, England, (Reuters) – A magnificent partnership between Chris Woakes and Jos Buttler helped propel England to an unlikely three-wicket victory over Pakistan in a topsy-turvy first test at Old Trafford yesterday. Woakes joined Buttler at the crease with England having slumped to 117-5 in their pursuit of a daunting 277 on a bowler-friendly pitch. But they launched a superb counter-attack to turn the tide with a sixth-wicket stand worth 139 runs.Buttler was eventually out lbw for 75 to leg spinner Yasir Shah with England requiring another 21 for victory, briefly reviving Pakistan’s flagging hopes.Stuart Broad was also dismissed lbw attempting to knock off the last four runs but fittingly Woakes edged a boundary to clinch victory, ending unbeaten on 84.
Luckbox: How the return of live sport has affected esports betting July 10, 2020 Newzoo’s latest quarterly update of Global Market Esports Report states that the number of worldwide consumers who will be aware of esports by the end of this year will exceed one billion.A total of 16 countries were part of the research that went into these findings, and it showed that the average awareness among gamers increased from 53.7% in 2015 to 65.7% in 2016. The awareness figure of one billion is a major increase of 36% from last year.There are naturally a number of contributory factors. A hugely extended coverage from global and local media played a big role. The launch of Yahoo Esports and ESPN’s coverage in addition to many other smaller media outlets picking it up has seen the esports name out there as something of a marketing buzzword this year. This is in addition to one off pieces from other major media corporations.There’s also been an intensified effort from game publishers, as well as the launch of numerous new leagues and events which have accelerated global exposure beyond initial expectations. The ELEAGUE, for instance, will maximise exposure as it’ll be the first time any esport has been given a regular television slot courtesy of Turner Broadcasting. ESL is also launching a 24/7 channel in Baltic and Nordic countries which are something of a European stronghold for esports fanatics. Poland for instance is host to the IEM Katowice, which is the biggest week long esports event worldwide.In addition the surge in esports awareness has created momentum for local esports efforts. An increasing amount of local esports federations are pushing for esports to be recognised as a job, which helps esports athletes with regulatory issues, such as VISA applications. Recent efforts in France for example go a long way in establishing the industry and giving it some authority; players will start to be treated as professionals in their field and this is vital for the continued growth of esports as a whole.Esports leagues are also becoming increasingly local, with university leagues leading the way in creating offline local competitions whilst companies such as Gfinity host regular offline tournaments aimed at both amateurs and pros, and draw a decent crowd.In terms of esports enthusiasts Newzoo has adjusted its audience figures upward, from 131 million Esports Enthusiasts to 148 million in this latest report. Combining this with occasional viewers, classed as those who watch less than once a month and generally only tune in for the major events, the total audience is 292 million. The spread of these enthusiasts can be seen in the infographic below.(Infographics courtesy of Newzoo) GG.Bet scores ESL Counter-Strike & Dota 2 global partnerships July 15, 2020 Share StumbleUpon Winning Post: UK racing must put its best foot forward … July 20, 2020 Share Submit Related Articles
With the extra time off this week and the passion for all things Baltimore Ravens being at a fever pitch, WNST.net proudly announces a few “bonus” live shows this week as part of “The 13 Days of Purple Fu-stivus” as we caravan around town with some great events that we hope you’ll attend and help with the cause to raise money for Living Classrooms Foundation.Beginning Wednesday night, you’ll have a chance to come support WNST and the Ravens with some player apperances, radio shows and the general revelry that goes with a bye week earned by the team in Cincinnati on Sunday.Here’s the lineup for the week. All shows begin at 7 p.m.Wednesday (free show) 7 pm — Bryant McKinnie at The Mallet in Fallston with WNST.netThursday ($40 admission includes full dinner) — Torrey Smith & LaQuan Williams at Jimmy’s Famous Seafood in Dundalk with WNST.net crew. (To purchase tickets call 410-633-4040 email email@example.com)Friday — (free show) 7pm — Dennis Pitta at Bill Bateman’s Bistro in Perry HallWe will be recording all of these shows for WNST.net & AM 1570 and we hope to see your face in the place as we bring the spirit and enthusiasm of Festivus — or in this case “Fu-stivus” to Baltimore football fans around town this week.
BALTIMORE — A day after celebrating his 29th birthday, Matt Wieters is scheduled to join the Orioles in Miami for a three-game series against the Marlins.It figures to be the final test for the three-time All-Star catcher before he’s scheduled to begin a minor-league rehab assignment with Double-A Bowie on Tuesday. And it’s an opportunity for Wieters to finally escape the heat of Sarasota, where he’s spent much of the last 11 months rehabbing from Tommy John surgery. “I think Matt wants to get around [bench coach and catching instructor John Russell] and get around his teammates and get back in that environment,” manager Buck Showalter said. “I think it’s a good progression for him, and I think it’s what Matt wants to do, too. Nobody knows what’s going on with his elbow and everything else more than him. “I think he needs to get out of the ‘Gulf Roast’ league, too. He’s been a diligent rehab guy, almost to a fault. I think he needs to get out of there physically, mentally, and emotionally. I think it’s a good time for him. Believe me, we’ll do a lot of work in Miami.”Despite catching in a number of extended spring training games, Wieters has yet to play on consecutive days, leading many to speculate that he will share starting duties with Caleb Joseph upon being activated from the 60-day disabled list next month. Wieters is eligible to return as early as June 4, and that’s the date on which he’s expected to be activated barring any setbacks, according to Showalter.It was more than two months ago that Wieters caught six innings in a Grapefruit League game on March 17, exactly nine months after undergoing ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction surgery. He was shut down the following day with elbow tendinitis, but Showalter says he didn’t view that as a setback as much as he did a sign for the fifth overall pick of the 2007 draft to slow down.“It was the test to see where he was. I don’t know, who knows?” said Showalter when asked if he wonders where Wieters might be now had they not pushed the elbow so soon. “If anything, it helped us make better decisions to know that he was on more of the 11 [or] 12-month plan than the nine-month [one] that he was hoping. I think he showed a lot of maturity with it. Matt really knows what has to happen for him to be able to contribute here, and I think he kind of used that as a gauge a little bit. “I look at it as a positive in the long run. I thought it was just part of the progression. In hindsight, it was actually positive that he was able to make a good decision there and not push it along where he would have really had a setback that would have required some other things.” Of course, the clock is ticking for Wieters as he’s scheduled to become a free agent after the 2015 season. The Orioles hope to benefit from his return to the lineup, but he needs to prove that he will be the same player despite undergoing a procedure not typical for catchers. Showalter is confident that Wieters is in excellent shape when it comes to the other aspects of catching that go beyond throwing and estimates that he’s received somewhere between 200 and 300 at-bats since the start of spring training. The jump in competition level will be an initial obstacle, but the Orioles are eager to have the veteran catcher back in whatever capacity he’s ready to handle. As they have throughout the process, the Orioles will lean on how Wieters says he feels as the biggest gauge when he’s ready to return. “The one thing he’s in is he’s in really good catching shape,” Showalter said. “He’s been challenged there leg-wise and everything. He’s probably got more at-bats than anybody. It’s just where he is with the elbow.”
Former Ravens cornerback Duane Starks joined Nestor and discussed the improvement of the defense following the BYE week and the potential that they could select a cornerback in the first round of the upcoming draft.Audio Playerhttp://c631904.r4.cf2.rackcdn.com/Duane%20Starks%20010515%20.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.