Firefighters from around the east end responded to a structure fire at the main house at The Creeks, Ron Perelman’s Georgica Pond estate in East Hampton, Sept. 28, 2018. Perelman, the billionaire investor and philanthropist who owns the nearly 60-acre estate, was not home at the time. No injuries were reported.A fire in the main residence of the property on Georgica Pond known as The Creeks caused extensive damage to the structure in the overnight hours between Friday and Saturday, September 27 and 28. The owners of the property, Ronald O. Perelman, the billionaire philanthropist who is also the owner of The Independent, and his wife, Anna Chapman, as well as members of their family, were not home at the time. The blaze, which broke through the roof of the residence, gutting the attic and causing extensive smoke, fire, and water damage to the second floor, required several fire departments from the South Fork to assist the East Hampton Fire Department in extinguishing it.Ken Cullum, fire marshal for East Hampton Village, said on Monday that, while the investigation into the cause of the fire is continuing, there was no indication of foul play being involved in its ignition. The fire, he said, started in the attic, with the cause still to be determined.East Hampton Fire Chief Gerald Turza Jr. was away for the weekend, but was briefed by his assistant chiefs when he returned to East Hampton on Monday. According to Chief Turza, “Second Assistant Chief Brian Stanis was first on the scene.” When Chief Stanis arrived, the fire had already pierced through the roof, and was licking up toward the sky. The full complement of the department’s equipment and men were brought to bear on the blaze. That included three fire engines, a hose truck, a tanker, a tower ladder truck, multiple fire police, and a heavy rescue unit.As the first assistant to arrive on the scene, Chief Stanis took command of the operation. The fact that the firefighters were inside the building, fighting the intense heat and smoke and flames, caused him to call in the Sag Harbor, Montauk, and Southampton rapid intervention teams, firefighters trained to get their comrades out of harm’s way if things should take a turn for the worse.Getting enough hoses in place to deliver water to the fire on the sprawling property was also an issue Chief Stanis tackled, with additional hose trucks being called in, along with additional manpower. Ultimately, Southampton, Springs, Montauk, and Sag Harbor provided additional boots on the ground, along with EMS units from East Hampton Village Volunteer Ambulance, Sag Harbor Volunteer Ambulance Corps, and the Montauk Fire Department Volunteer Ambulance Company.Three times the firefighters were called out of the building for fear that it was about to collapse. At those times, the main focus became delivering water from the tower ladder. A new piece of equipment, Chief Turza said, played a pivotal role at those moments: a FLIR system aerial thermal imaging system, that pinpoints the hot pockets in a fire, allowing the firefighters to direct water at the areas. The department obtained the FLIR system less than a month ago, the chief said.Each time the firefighters were pulled out, an assessment of the situation was done, and they were sent back in. “I was very proud of the assistant chiefs, the firefighters, the fire police, and the mutual aid workers,” Chief Turza said.Protecting lives is not the only thing firefighters do. “Life, safety, and property preservation” has always been a cornerstone of American fire departments, the chief said. As they fought the fire, firemen removed property to avoid further damage, as their credo calls for.It took about three hours to suppress the fire. Firefighters did not leave The Creeks property until after 4 AM.There were no injuries to firefighters, or to the staff members who were on the property when the fire broke out. “On behalf of Ronald and Anna, we want to thank all the brave local fire fighters and police for their extraordinary response,” read a statement from the Perelman email@example.com Share
[mappress]Source: Gastech, March 25, 2014 Delegates to Gastech 2014 were told that there were enormous growth opportunities with the development of new technology and improved safety measures. “Today’s growth is completely unprecedented,” said Andrew Clifton, General Manager for the Society for International Gas Tanker and Terminal Operators. “We have more ships and terminals than ever before, and we currently have 400 vessels with over 100 more on order,” he said. “Within 3 to 4 years, we’ll have a fleet of over 500 LNG vessels in service. It’s certainly worth mentioning that, as recently as 1997, there were only 100 vessels in service.”Tamunoiyala Koko, Team Leader – Halifax for Lloyd’s Register, presented his risk assessment for LNGC ships transiting through the Panama Canal after the Panama Canal expansion project, which will accommodate most of the world’s LNG fleet and larger ships, and is expected to be completed in July 2015. “The HAZID project takes into account all credible scenarios and accidental evidence such as human error, mechanical failures, communications errors, extreme weather, and other possibilities,” Koko said. These incidents can result in possible LNGC ship grounding, and collision with other passing ships, including large vessels. The study was carried out from February 28 to March 2, 2012, looking at up to 170,000 cubic meter capacity ships with an estimated 100 LNG vessel transiting through the Panama Canal each year once the expansion is completed. “All of the scenarios considered had at most a medium risk,” he said. This risk is acceptable if sufficient controls are in place, according to the study. For 7 out of 11 medium risk hazards, no additional controls were necessary.KH Joh, Principal Engineer at Samsung Heavy Industries, introduced his company’s new membrane-type cargo containment system for LNG tankers, which has received approval in principle and general design approval from classification societies. The new design includes a reinforced corrugated primary membrane and more robust secondary membranes made of stainless steel for improved containment system integrity. The structural capacity for the sloshing load is enhanced, reducing the cargo filling limit. The new system will “increase the transportation efficiency” and “improve operational flexibility” for LNG carriers and offshore floating vessels, Joh said.Choi DongKyu, Deputy Director and Head of the Energy System R&D Team at Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering, discussed MEGI propulsion for LNG carriers, calling it an attractive way for achieving high fuel efficiency. “The system minimizes the conversion loss since the MEGI engine directly drives the propeller without any energy conversion. Despite its higher fuel efficiency, the system does have a disadvantage, requiring high pressure for fuel gas,” he said. Some amount of BOG must be left in the tank because of the low fuel consumption of MEGI consumption.Delegates who opened the Gastech 2014 technical stream conference on Tuesday morning paid their respects to Robert J. Lakey, Gastech’s longest-serving chairman, who passed away this year.
Related TopicsCavsKevin LoveKyrie IrvingLebron JamesNBA The Cavs are 15 wins away from bringing Cleveland a championship.Like NEO Sports Insiders on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @NEOSportsInside for all your Cavs playoff news and updates! Matt Medley Matt Medley is co-editor at NEO Sports Insiders, covers the Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Indians and high school sports in Northeast Ohio.Follow @MedleyHoops on Twitter for live updates from games. The Cavs Big Three of LeBron James, Kyrie Irving, and Kevin Love spoke at the podium together after Sunday’s 106-101 Win in Game 1 of the First Round of the Playoffs against the Detroit Pistons. Here’s what they had to say:
Betway has announced they will be the official sponsors of the FACEIT London Major in September. The event being played at the SSE Arena, Wembley, is the 13th Valve-sponsored CS:GO Major and the second of the year. With $1 million (£764,800) in prize money and a direct invite into the IEM Katowice Major 2019 up for grabs, it’s likely the tournament will showcase some elite gameplay while drawing a wide range of viewers.Furthermore, Betway will sponsor the FACEIT Minors qualifying circuit that is underway already. The exposure from the Minors should grant the betting company quite a bit of exposure as this CS:GO tournament is shaping up to be one of the United Kingdom’s biggest esports events. Betway CEO, Anthony Werkman, commented for us on the recent partnership saying: “We are absolutely delighted to sponsor the first CSGO Major in the UK. We are always trying to reach the next level in our esports sponsorship strategy, and there is no denying the prestige that a CSGO Major brings to our portfolio. While we know that the world will be watching this iconic event; the fact that it was being hosted in the UK really excited us, and has opened up our options for even more activation.”The report added yet another valuable partnership to Betway’s esports resume; sponsoring the FACEIT Major will couple their recent sponsorship deals with ESL One Cologne and MIBR. The betting company has additionally maintained a successful relationship with Ninja in Pyjamas since 2016, enabling them to produce a wealth of exclusive content. The news of Betway sponsoring yet another CS:GO major echoes the group’s seriousness in establishing themselves as the market leader in this space. CS:GO is a universally popular game and a highly valuable product for bookmakers – it’s unsurprising the sportsbook is putting a lot of time and energy into the first-person-shooter.Esports Insider says: Betway has been highly active in CS:GO recently, the announcement that they will be the official sponsor of the FACEIT Major is another step towards cementing their name as your go-to place for betting on Counter-Strike.Sign up to our newsletter!