By KATHRYN BERMINGHAM THE first Catholic Early Learning Centre in the Diocese of Sale opened in Officer last week, catering…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
Region 2 floodingOver 460 acres of rice within the Sparta, Windsor Castle and Hampton Court backdams in Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam) are currently affected due to excessive water. This was reported by Regional Vice Chairperson, Nandranie Coonjah, at the Regional Democratic Council’s (RDC) statutory meeting for the month of June.Coonjah in a report to the RDC stated that over 160 acres of low lands in the Sparta area and 300 acres in the Windsor Castle and Hampton Court areas are inundated due to poor drainage, compounded with heavy rainfall. This, she said, is affecting farmers in those areas as 18,400 acres of rice lands were already sown.Coonjah informed the Councillors of the RDC that farmers need help to drain water from the low lands.After the presentation of her report, Region Two Chairman and head of the region’s RDC, Devanand Ramdatt, said a team comprising engineers and officials from the National Drainage and Irrigation Authority (NDIA) visited the areas recently and inspections were conducted. Ramdatt said he had communicated with Agriculture Minister Noel Holder on the issues affecting the farmers and in response, the Minister said the NDIA would be repairing the Hampton Court sluice. Ramdatt said currently, the areas have three sluices, however, only one is operable, thus contributing to poor drainage.He however opined if the sluices are maintained then that could bring relief to the affected rice farmers.
Formula One officials also said the race’s medical helicopter would not have been able to land at a suitable hospital in the city, where poor visibility had caused a number of commercial flight delays.With further poor conditions forecast, one option for organisers could be to bring the race forward from Sunday to Saturday as a precaution, while Hamilton offered an alternative suggestion.“Sat program: 3 practice sessions, qualifying Sunday morning and then race. Who’s down for the switch up?” he tweeted.The three-time world champion, who alleviated some of the boredom by running over to the vast main grandstand to throw signed baseball caps to screaming fans, added: “Seriously tho, this could actually be a blessing in disguise. A chance for new bosses to be proactive & be creative.”Hamilton later told reporters: “The track was absolutely fine and we could have run all day today with no issue it if weren’t for the clouds.“It’s not good for the fans watching on TV and even worse for all those people in the stands who have paid money to come out here from the city or even from other countries.”More than half the drivers got a crack at the boggy circuit during a curtailed morning running, with Max Verstappen of Red Bull getting around the quickest.– Forlorn drivers –But the situation delayed the hotly anticipated resumption of hostilities between Mercedes and Ferrari.Hamilton and defending champions Mercedes have vowed to bounce back after their wake-up call in the season opener in Melbourne two weeks ago, where Vettel steered his Ferrari to a commanding victory.Forlorn drivers sat in the pits or in their cars Friday as they waited to see whether the afternoon’s practice would ever get under way before time eventually ran out.Drivers will have a final chance at practice on Saturday before afternoon qualifying — if the air clears up.Times were slow as teams ran full wets during the short Friday session.It was treacherous going for Kevin Magnussen of Haas, who spun out twice, and Renault’s Nico Hulkenberg beached his car on a gravel embankment and had to abandon it.Hamilton recalled the “wheel-to-wheel” battles of his go-cart driving days, saying Thursday that he looked forward to a season-long fight with Vettel.“I yearn for those kinds of battles,” said the Briton. “I’m dying for that day to come again and I hope that happens with me and Sebastian.”Ferrari have shown impressive early pace, with 2007 champion Kimi Raikkonen taking fourth in Australia and signs pointing to another tight battle between the two top teams in China.Newly introduced wider cars and fatter tyres of 2017 appeared to make overtaking harder in Melbourne, but Shanghai’s longer stretches could make for more lead changes.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Weather has delayed practice at the Formula One Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai on April 7, 2017 © AFP / Johannes EISELEShanghai, China, Apr 7 – China’s notoriously murky air cut short practice sessions at the Chinese Grand Prix on Friday, prompting speculation of a radical schedule shuffle to prevent the race being scuttled entirely.Smog and damp weather combined to interrupt morning practice and force the cancellation of the afternoon running without title hopefuls Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel logging any timed laps.
Taib Bajaber playing off handicap 14 secured the second position by posting 40 points following a competitive engagement in the field.Christine Ockotch playing off handicap 16 not only secured the lady winner position but also emerged third in overall position, posting a total of 40 points.Speaking at the golf challenge, Sanlam Group CEO Patrick Tumbo noted that the event, currently in its third year is a deliberate effort that Sanlam Kenya has committed to as a platform to engage its Coast based clientele and stakeholders.“Today has been a success as we have managed to engage key stakeholders. Sanlam Kenya remains committed to raising the bar for the local financial services sector leveraging on different platforms such as golf for stakeholder engagement” added Mr. Tumbo.The third annual Sanlam Kenya Golf Challenge attracted a strong field of 122 amateur golfers at the Nyali Golf and Country Club course as Sanlam General CEO George Kuria, Humphrey Ndaiga, Head of Corporate, Sanlam General and team represented the Sanlam Kenya Staff Team.OVERALL WINNERS1st Place Men– Taib Bajaber – 40points2nd Place Men – Omar Lewa – 39points1st Place Women – Christine Ockotch – 40points2nd Place Women – Perviz Barnsley – 38c/b pointsLongest Drive Men – Vimal RanpuraLongest Drive Lady – Joyce MasaiClosest to the Pin Men – Mwangi MburuClosest to the Pin Women – Susan Stokes0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Nyali Golf and Country club Captain Taib Bajaber makes a swing during the third Annual Sanlam Golf Tournament in Mombasa. Capt. Taib secured the men’s title and overall second position at the tournament.NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 15 – Playing off handicap 13, Mombasa golfer Yobesh Oyaro scored 42 points to win the Sanlam Golf Challenge hosted at the par 71 Nyali Golf Course over the weekend.Oyaro, a senior member of the club, posted a countback of 25, 16, 7 and 2 respectively to secure the win to take home the overall winner prize.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Police in Fort St. John investigating after a motorcycle was stolen from a residential yard on the 11300 block of 93rd Street in Fort St. John.Between May 6 and May 14, 2017, thieves cut the lock latch on a shed and stole a 2004 Suzuki RMZ 250F dirt bike and an orange 20 litre jerry can, half full of gas according to a release.RCMP say the bike is a Suzuki RMZ 250F yellow, white and black in colour and had a green Monster decal on the rear fender behind the seat.- Advertisement -If anyone has any information about this theft, you are asked to call Fort St. John RCMP at (250) 787-7100 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (tips).
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Firefighters are battling a second-alarm brush fire in the Newhall Pass, reported at 9:30 this morning near the site of the old Newhall Refinery. Manpower’s the name of the game as flames burn toward the west near the juction of t Interstate 5 and the Antelope Valley (14) Freeway. So far the fire has burned 10 acres and is growing, said county Fire Inspector Sam Padilla, adding that some structures are threatened. Firefighters are jumping hard on the smallest of fires these days to keep them from spreading into parched swaths of brush. So far, the Los Angeles County Fire Department has sent four helicopters and about five dozen firefighters to assist battle the blaze.
11 11 11 11 4. Phil Jones (centre-back) 11 18. Ashley Young (left-back) 8. Juan Mata (right wing) 11 11. Anthony Martial (left wing) Manchester United travel to Huddersfield on Saturday hoping to keep in touch with rivals Manchester City at the top of the Premier League table.The Red Devils fell two points behind the Citizens following their goalless draw with Liverpool at Anfield last weekend.Jose Mourinho will be confident of returning to form against David Wagner’s side, who are without a win in their last five games, and sit 12th in the table.So who will Mourinho pick? Click the right arrow above to see our predicted XI, in squad number order… 31. Nemanja Matic (central midfield) 36. Matteo Darmian (right-back) 12. Chris Smalling (centre-back) 21. Ander Herrera (central midfield) 11 11 11 22. Henrikh Mkhitaryan (attacking midfield) 1. David de Gea (goalkeeper) – click the right arrow above to see our predicted Manchester United XI, in squad number order… 11 9. Romelu Lukaku (striker) 11
Sancho and Brewster are good friends and were part of England’s squad that won the Under-17s World Cup in 2017 and the former Manchester City youngster explained how they help each other with the mental side of the game.Sancho added: “We have got a special connection, you know? We went to the Euros and then we went to the World Cup.“We message each other and tell each other to keep going and keep believing.”Jurgen Klopp’s men are back in action when they face Sevilla in Boston on Sunday evening. getty 3 Brewster has scored four goals in three matches for Liverpool this summer boost Liverpool update ‘Champions Wall’ after ending 2019 as European and world champions REVEALED LATEST AFP or licensors Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January Former Crystal Palace and West Brom manager Pardew takes over at Dutch strugglers 3 3 JIBE The 19-year-old has been given opportunities up front because Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane have had extended breaks due to international duty. Ten things you didn’t know about Rhian Brewster Can Brewster follow in Sancho’s footsteps and have a breakthrough season? Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Man United transfer news live: Haaland ‘wants a change’, two players off in January Sancho, who enjoyed a fabulous breakthrough season with the German club in 2018/19, was also playing in the match which Dortmund won 3-2.He earned call-ups to England’s senior squad and Sancho suggested his former England Under-17s team-mate could emerge as key man for Liverpool in the 2019/20 campaign.On Brewster, Sancho said: “I have played with him. I know how good he is. He causes defenders nightmares. deals Liverpool striker Rhian Brewster has been backed to have a breakthrough season by fellow Englishman Jadon Sancho.Brewster has been in excellent form this summer, scoring in all of Liverpool’s pre-season matches so far including a penalty against Sancho’s Borussia Dortmund in America on Friday night. AFP or licensors LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS Lampard appears to aim dig at Mourinho for handling of Salah and De Bruyne at Chelsea The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Solskjaer gives Pogba fitness update and calls him world’s best all-round midfielder “He is a great player. I feel like he is at the right club, he is developing and he is still so young. He is developing and that is the main thing. Just give him the time and patience and you will see.“I played with him a lot for England and he scored a lot of goals for us and I have assisted him. It’s a good thing for us to have someone like him.“I knew the penalty was going in as soon as he put the ball in his hands. I’ve seen him do it all the time, top corner. I just knew what was coming. He spends time after training, practising and practising his technique.“I always used to see him out on the pitches. Penalties, free-kicks, he took them all.” TROPHY targets New job Sancho says he knew Brewster was going to score the penalty he took against Dortmund
The complicated draw also means England could potentially be placed in the tournament’s ‘Group of Death’.The Three Lions are top seeds after storming their qualification campaign, but they could face World Cup holders France – who are among the second seeds – and defending European champions Portugal – among the third seeds – in their group. 3 AFP or licensors AFP Due to seedings and rules involving host nations, three of the four teams in Group B have already been determined, with Belgium guaranteed to face Denmark and Russia next summer.The official Euro 2020 draw is scheduled for November 30, but Roberto Martinez’s men have the rare advantage of already knowing who their opponents will be.For the first time, the European Championships will be played in 12 host cities from 12 nations, with Wembley Stadium staging the semi-finals and final.Belgium join Italy, England, Germany, Spain and Ukraine in the top seeds, but FOUR of those sides are hosting this special edition of the tournament.EXPLAINED: How England could be placed in Euro 2020 ‘Group of Death’Only Belgium and Ukraine are forced to travel for ALL of their games, which means Belgium must be in a pot with two nations who ARE hosting.In Pot 2, only Holland and Russia are hosts, but Ukraine – the other non-hosting Pot 1 side – cannot be paired up with Russia due to political tensions, meaning Belgium will 100 per cent face Russia.In Pot 3, Denmark are the only host nation, and so Belgium must join them in Group B.Belgium are now only waiting to find out who the fourth team in their group will be. De ruyne scored a fine brace as Belgium concluded their qualifying campaign with a 6-1 win over Cyprus and a 100% record They join Wales – whose win over Hungary last week sealed their place in the finals – and Finland in Pot 4, along with four play-off winners who are still to be decided.On the ‘fixed’ draw, a cynical De Bruyne moaned on Belgian TV: “It is a shame, a scandal, honestly.“This feels like competition distortion, a fake competition. Football is not really football any more, it’s becoming a business.”The Netherlands are in a similar position – they have already been placed in Group C with Ukraine.And that baffled head coach Ronald Koeman, who has questioned if he needs to bother turning up for the draw.“I don’t really understand this new format,” he told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.“I have asked my federation if I still need to bother going to the draw on November 30.” AFP Kevin De Bruyne has blasted Euro 2020 as a ‘fake competition’ over its ‘fixed’ draw 3 Kevin De Bruyne hit out at UEFA and called next summer’s Euro 2020 ‘a fake competition’, as Belgium already know who they will play in the group stage.The draw takes place live on talkSPORT 2 at 5pm today, but the Red Devils won’t be paying much attention to it – they know who will be joining them in Group B. Netherlands boss Ronald Koeman has been left confused by the Euro 2020 draw 3
Attractions Closed For RefurbishmentsMagic Kingdom:Stitch’s Great EscapeLiberty Square RiverboatEpcot:Kringla Bakeri og KafeHave you celebrated Easter at Walt Disney World? Share your experience in the comments! Share This!Easter is just days away. Here’s how you can join in the Springtime fun at Walt Disney World!Special EventsHand-decorated Easter Eggs are on display in the lobby of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa now until April 10. Guests can admire (and vote on) these works of art, which are carefully created by Disney pastry chefs.On March 31 and April 1, there will be a special pre-parade at Magic Kingdom park. Before the Festival of Fantasy Parade, you’ll see Mr. and Mrs. Easter Bunny, Thumper, Rabbit from Winnie the Pooh, and more!Speaking of rabbits, meet the Easter Bunny at Magic Kingdom! Now until April 1, you’ll find him in the Town Square Courtyard.Finally, the United Kingdom pavillion in Epcot will be hosting an Easter egg hunt on April 1. This is for children ages 3-9 between 11 am and 3:30 pm. If your children are too old, there will also be egg relays, a basket toss and a meet and greet with Mr. and Mrs. Easter Bunny.WeatherFor the most current weather conditions, click here.Crowd LevelsFor more information about crowd levels, click here.Park Hours