Home secretary Theresa May has signaled her intention to bring forward new communications data legislation in the next parliament – a move likely to be opposed by legal professional bodies. Asked by the BBC this morning in what way her party had been ‘held back’ by being in coalition over the past five years, May cited the Draft Communications Data Bill, dubbed the ‘snoopers’ charter by critics’. The bill would have required telecommunications and internet providers to retain data about customers’ communications, but Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg withdrew his support and the legislation was blocked.May said she will seek to re-introduce it in the next parliament to increase the security of British people.‘David Cameron has already said and I have said that a Conservative government would be giving the security agencies and law enforcement agencies the powers that they need to ensure that they are keeping up to date as people communicate with data.‘We were prevented from bringing that legislation into parliament in the last government because of the coalition with the Liberal Democrats and we are determined to bring that through because we believe it is what is necessary to maintain the capabilities for our law enforcement agencies such that they can continue to do the excellent job they do day in and day out of keeping us safe and secure.’Any new bill is likely to revive calls for statutory protection for legal professional privilege. The Law Society and Bar Council are among organisations already campaigning for reform of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act following revelations that the security services have intercepted communications between lawyers and their clients.
SIGN UP TO DAILY NEWSLETTERCLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP The Sandiganbayan Sixth Division has granted the plea bargaining agreement between former Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice) Executive Director Ronilo A. Beronio and the prosecution which allowed him to plead guilty to the lesser offense of breach of conduct instead of graft.MANILA BULLETIN FILE PHOTOBeronio was slapped with three counts of graft alongside former Department of Agriculture (DA) Secretary Arthur Yap, who was also the PhilRice board chairman back then, and eight other PhilRice officials.The charges were made because Beronio and the others reportedly entered into contracts that were grossly disadvantageous to the government. They signed Hold Out Agreements (HOA) with the Philippine National Bank (PNB), wherein PhilRice funds were used as security for the loan obligation of its employees under the PhilRice Car Plan.Beronio himself was one of the beneficiaries of the PhilRice Car Plan.On May 24, 2019, Beronio entered a “Not Guilty” plea to the charges. He subsequently manifested that he would like to plead guilty to three counts of violation of Section 7(a) of R.A. 6713 or the Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards.Both the prosecution and defense then submitted a Joint Motion to Approve Plea Bargaining Agreement on September 25, 2019.The anti-graft court warned Beronio that he may be punished twice for the very same offense should he plead guilty to breach of conduct, so he filed a Waiver of Right Against Double Jeopardy.Because of this, the court granted the Joint Motion and scheduled the re-arraignment of Beronio on October 2.The five-page resolution was signed by Sixth Division Chairperson Sarah Jane Fernandez with the concurrence of Associate Justices Karl Miranda and Kevin Narce Vivero.
MILAN, (Reuters) – Napoli scored twice before halftime and hit the woodwork three times in yesterday’s 2-1 Serie A win over Lazio, who had defender Francesco Acerbi sent off to end his remarkable run of 149 consecutive matches. The win, their 15th in 20 league games this season, left second-placedNapoli six points behind leaders Juventus who host bottom club Chievo on Monday while Lazio dropped out of the Champions League places.Acerbi had been ever-present since October 2015 in all competitions, firstly for Sassuolo and then for Lazio following his move at the start of this season.After playing 148 matches in a row – staying on the pitch for the full 90 minutes in each – the 30-year-old’s run ended when he was given a second yellow card for a foul on Jose Callejon in the 70th minute. As a result he will be suspended for the next game at home to Juventus.Lazio coach Simone Inzaghi argued, however, that Acerbi should not have been dismissed.“I’m sorry because we were back to 2-1 and there were 25 minutes left. Acerbi clearly took the ball, then maybe even the opponent. They are the sort of episodes which have gone against us recently.” Arkadiusz Milik volleyed against the post and then saw a header pushed onto the woodwork by Thomas Strakosha before Jose Callejon fired the hosts ahead with his first goal of the season in the 34th minute.Milik doubled Napoli’s tally three minutes later by curling an exquisite free kick into the top corner.Fabian Ruiz smacked a left-foot shot against the top of the upright early in the second half but Ciro Immobile reduced the arrears in the 65th minute with a shot through the legs of defender Raul Albiol. Despite having Francesco Acerbi sent off for a second yellow card shortly afterwards, Lazio did enough to make Napoli’s life uncomfortable towards the end and the final whistle was greeted with huge relief by the San Paolo crowd.Napoli, with 47 points, opened up a seven-point gap between themselves and third-placed Inter while AS Roma’s 3-2 win over Torino on Saturday took them fourth, the last of the Champions League places, with 33. Lazio are a further point behind in fifth.“We had some difficult moments and could have dealt better with some of them and there were some naive errors, but overall there was a lot of quality,” said Napoli coach Carlo Ancelotti.