Mexico to keep troops away from U.S. border

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The Mexican government is investigating reports that Mexican soldiers aided drug smugglers across the Rio Grande, and it will not allow its soldiers within 3.2 miles of the U.S. border after an armed standoff in Texas on Monday. Mexican officials deny any incursions by their army and instead blame drug cartels for masquerading as soldiers in order to destroy the country’s foreign relations with the United States. “It’s just allegations,” said Rafael Laveaga, spokesman for the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C. “We don’t deny criminal activity on the border, that would be foolish to do. Cartels are a global force right now.” Laveaga added that Mexican officials are conducting a full investigation into the incident and inspecting Mexican military bases near the U.S. border to see if any uniforms or equipment have been removed. Mexican soldiers will not be allowed into the 3.2-mile alert zone unless they have proper authorization, said Juan Carlos Foncerrada Berumen, the Mexican consul general in El Paso, Texas. The consul general also said Tuesday that the men who faced off with the Texas officers were not Mexican soldiers. He said Mexican military uniforms may have been used Monday to distort public opinion and damage relations between the two countries. In response to Monday’s incident, Texas Gov. Rick Perry joined two Southern California congressmen in calling for an investigation into whether Mexican soldiers are helping smugglers. Reps. David Dreier, R-Glendora, and Duncan Hunter, R-San Diego, last week called for Congress to look into incursions based on documents showing Mexican soldiers had crossed into the country 216 times over the past 10 years. “We need to have these congressional hearings so all these can come to the forefront,” Dreier said Tuesday. Dreier said he was “horrified” by the reports and that investigations need to start immediately, regardless of whether the men were members of drug cartels or the Mexican military. The Department of Homeland Security issued a statement Tuesday saying it was investigating Monday’s standoff alongside state and local authorities. Monday’s armed confrontation took place 90 miles east of El Paso between U.S. law enforcement and roughly 10 heavily armed men, some wearing what appeared to be Mexican military uniforms. A more than 12-mile pursuit of three sport-utility vehicles ended at the Rio Grande where a Humvee with Mexican soldiers in it was on the U.S. side of the border, according to officials with the Texas Border Sheriff’s Coalition, an organization of the 16 sheriff’s departments along the Texas/ Mexico border. The first SUV made it back to Mexico, but the second got stuck in the low river. Men in Mexican uniforms set that vehicle on fire. The third SUV, which was carrying more than 1,400 pounds of marijuana, was abandoned on the U.S. side with a flat tire. Zapata County Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez, a member of the coalition, said that U.S. law enforcers saw what appeared to be a Humvee with a mounted machine gun. During a press conference Tuesday, officers said they saw men in Mexican Army uniforms dismantling what was left of the stranded vehicle, Gonzalez added. Gonzalez said he also received a call from Laredo, Texas, on Tuesday regarding snipers who were firing on Border Patrol agents from Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. “If you don’t live on the border you don’t know what’s going on on the border,” said Gonzalez, who added that the Texas governor allocated $6million last year to assist the coalition in border security. “The border is so open, anything and anyone can get through. We feel our federal government isn’t protecting our border.” The Associated Press contributed to this report. [email protected] (909) 483-8552last_img read more

Read More

Champions League boost helps Celtic to £61m half-year revenue

first_imgCeltic have revealed strong financial results for the six months ending in December last year, reflecting success since the arrival of Brendan Rodgers.The Scottish champions saw their revenue increase by 94% to £61.2m in the six months to December 31, 2016, and profit from trading rose from £1.6m to more than £21m.The increase in part reflects the club’s success in reaching the group stages of the Champions League. Under Rodgers, the team is unbeaten in the Scottish Premiership, has won the League Cup and is through to the fifth round of the Scottish Cup.Celtic’s results also reveal the club spent just under £10m in the summer on player transfers, when new manager Rodgers added Scott Sinclair, Moussa Dembélé, Kolo Touré, Christian Gamboa and Dorus de Vries to his squad. Player sales accounted for £2m, which the club said was largely accounted for by the sale of Stefan Johansen to Fulham. The strong set of financial figures leaves Celtic with just under £19m in the bank. The financial report notes that the next six months are unlikely to bring as much revenue, partly due to there being no European football, though there will still be some outstanding Champions League money to be paid out.In a statement in the report, chairman Ian Bankier said: “The board is optimistic about our immediate future and firmly supports the self-sustaining financial model that has served us well.”last_img read more

Read More