Mexico to keep troops away from U.S. border

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The Mexican government is investigating reports that Mexican soldiers aided drug smugglers across the Rio Grande, and it will not allow its soldiers within 3.2 miles of the U.S. border after an armed standoff in Texas on Monday. Mexican officials deny any incursions by their army and instead blame drug cartels for masquerading as soldiers in order to destroy the country’s foreign relations with the United States. “It’s just allegations,” said Rafael Laveaga, spokesman for the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C. “We don’t deny criminal activity on the border, that would be foolish to do. Cartels are a global force right now.” Laveaga added that Mexican officials are conducting a full investigation into the incident and inspecting Mexican military bases near the U.S. border to see if any uniforms or equipment have been removed. Mexican soldiers will not be allowed into the 3.2-mile alert zone unless they have proper authorization, said Juan Carlos Foncerrada Berumen, the Mexican consul general in El Paso, Texas. The consul general also said Tuesday that the men who faced off with the Texas officers were not Mexican soldiers. He said Mexican military uniforms may have been used Monday to distort public opinion and damage relations between the two countries. In response to Monday’s incident, Texas Gov. Rick Perry joined two Southern California congressmen in calling for an investigation into whether Mexican soldiers are helping smugglers. Reps. David Dreier, R-Glendora, and Duncan Hunter, R-San Diego, last week called for Congress to look into incursions based on documents showing Mexican soldiers had crossed into the country 216 times over the past 10 years. “We need to have these congressional hearings so all these can come to the forefront,” Dreier said Tuesday. Dreier said he was “horrified” by the reports and that investigations need to start immediately, regardless of whether the men were members of drug cartels or the Mexican military. The Department of Homeland Security issued a statement Tuesday saying it was investigating Monday’s standoff alongside state and local authorities. Monday’s armed confrontation took place 90 miles east of El Paso between U.S. law enforcement and roughly 10 heavily armed men, some wearing what appeared to be Mexican military uniforms. A more than 12-mile pursuit of three sport-utility vehicles ended at the Rio Grande where a Humvee with Mexican soldiers in it was on the U.S. side of the border, according to officials with the Texas Border Sheriff’s Coalition, an organization of the 16 sheriff’s departments along the Texas/ Mexico border. The first SUV made it back to Mexico, but the second got stuck in the low river. Men in Mexican uniforms set that vehicle on fire. The third SUV, which was carrying more than 1,400 pounds of marijuana, was abandoned on the U.S. side with a flat tire. Zapata County Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez, a member of the coalition, said that U.S. law enforcers saw what appeared to be a Humvee with a mounted machine gun. During a press conference Tuesday, officers said they saw men in Mexican Army uniforms dismantling what was left of the stranded vehicle, Gonzalez added. Gonzalez said he also received a call from Laredo, Texas, on Tuesday regarding snipers who were firing on Border Patrol agents from Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. “If you don’t live on the border you don’t know what’s going on on the border,” said Gonzalez, who added that the Texas governor allocated $6million last year to assist the coalition in border security. “The border is so open, anything and anyone can get through. We feel our federal government isn’t protecting our border.” The Associated Press contributed to this report. [email protected] (909) 483-8552last_img read more

Read More

Four ways Tottenham can beat Chelsea and remain ‘invincible’

first_imgTottenham Hotspur travel to Chelsea on Saturday night looking not only revenge, but for their first win at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League.Last season, the Blues came from 2-0 down to draw with the Lilywhites and officially end their title ambitions, allowing Leicester City to lift the trophy.Now, with retribution and redemption in mind, Spurs must come up against an in-form Chelsea side swatting aside opponents thanks to their new formation.So, how can Tottenham finally dispatch the Blues and exorcise the ghost of last season’s result, which left some players in tears? Click the right arrow above to see our thoughts… 2. Stop taking short goal-kicks – Tottenham don’t concede many goals, but when they do the root is often a punished error. Regularly, these errors are directly linked to their propensity for a short-goal kick. When these restarts work, they look good and allow Spurs to attack quickly, getting the full-backs forward and into the game early. When they don’t, they leave the central defenders under pressure and Hugo Lloris, almost certainly, facing a shot or making a rash clearance – giving the ball back to their opponents in an attacking position. For this game, with Chelsea in irresistible form, it’s best not to give them any kind of chance or opening. So, for one game at least, they must be smarter when Lloris has the ball at his feet. 1. Use Heung-Min Son and Christian Eriksen on the flanks – Click the right arrow above for more ways Tottenham can beat Chelsea… – If Tottenham can disrupt Chelsea’s back-three, they could get themselves all three points at Stamford Bridge. Drawing either Cesar Azpilicueta or Gary Cahill away from their nominal position could allow Spurs space and time in front of goal. Both Son and Eriksen have the ability to take on opponents and create mischief, with the South Korean inspiring Mauricio Pochettino’s men last weekend against West Ham, engaging Michail Antonio and Havard Nordtveit, assisting a goal and winning a penalty. Eriksen, who looks laboured and restricted in a central role, could flourish given time out on the flank. With both players also able switch sides throughout the match there is added flexibility. The last time these two occupied similar roles was against Arsenal and they had plenty of joy. 4 4. Dominate the midfield – using Moussa Sissoko – We know he’s out of form, but give us a moment. If Tottenham are going to get any foothold into the game they need to disrupt Ngolo Kante and Nemanja Matic. The Blues’ duo have been in superb form, keeping things tight and both winning the ball and keeping it, with impressive passing success statistics. If Mauricio Pochettino wants to overrun these two, he should consider moving Sissoko into a midfield three alongside Victor Wanyama and Mousa Dembele. Using Wanyama as an anchorman, capable of dropping in alongside centre-backs Eric Dier and Kevin Wimmer, and Dembele and Sissoko as box-to-box hustlers they could dominate the centre of the pitch. 4 4 3. Stop Chelsea’ dribblers – The Blues’ ability to transition from defence to attack thanks to their superb dribbling stars is impressive. Their wing-backs, and their wide forwards, are extremely capable of engaging and beating opponents. It’s crucial to their game and Tottenham would be smart to nip these in the bud. Whether it be a tactical foul or a feat of physical strength, it’s crucial Spurs stop them from meandering towards goal. Pochettino’s midfielders should be ready to muck in and double-team Chelsea’s attacking threats when necessary. 4last_img read more

Read More