Team ‘Trabaho’ scores championship title at the last leg of Smart Siklab Saya Manila Chinese-manned vessel unsettles Bohol town Popovic though, walked it off and finished the match.Rykhliuk led Volero with 30 points while Dobriana Rabadzhieva and Foluke Akinradewo each had 11.Zhu Ting had 31 points to lead VakifBank while Milena Rasic added 20.ADVERTISEMENT Volero head coach Zoran Terzic said it’s a big confidence boost for their team to beat VakifBank, the 2013 World champions, and it shows the bronze medalists from last year’s tournament has the caliber to play against the best clubs in the planet.“It was a very very interesting game,” said Terzic whose team has a 3-0 record is the first to advance to the semifinal round from Pool B. “Also it’s very important for Volero, for the players, that they can win against VakifBank.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra teammates show love for SlaughterSPORTSWe are youngSPORTSCone plans to speak with Slaughter, agent“VakifBank is one of the strongest teams in the world.”A scary moment, though, happened to Volero when libero Silvija Popovic and spiker Olesia Rykhliuk collided early in the fifth set. MOST READ Mainland China virus cases exceed 40,000; deaths rise to 908 EDITORS’ PICK BREAKING: Solicitor General asks SC to forfeit ABS CBN’s franchise Smart hosts first 5G-powered esports exhibition match in PH Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Where did they go? Millions left Wuhan before quarantine Durham rues crucial miss: I thought it went in We are young 30 Filipinos from Wuhan quarantined in Capas View comments Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Brad Pitt wins his first acting Oscar as awards get underway Taiwan minister boards cruise ship turned away by Japan PLAY LIST 01:31Taiwan minister boards cruise ship turned away by Japan01:33WHO: ‘Global stocks of masks and respirators are now insufficient’01:01WHO: now 31,211 virus cases in China 102:02Vitamin C prevents but doesn’t cure diseases like coronavirus—medic03:07’HINDI PANG-SPORTS LANG!’03:03SILIP SA INTEL FUND Volero Zürich vs Bangkok Glass. INQUIRER PHOTO/Sherwin VardeleonVolero Zurich dug deep into its bag of tricks and survived VakifBank Istanbul in five sets, 25-22, 27,-25, 16-25, 12-25, 16-14 and stayed undefeated in the preliminary stages of the FIVB Women’s Club World Championship Thursday at Mall of Asia Arena.Mariana Costa, who has played sparingly for Volero in their first two matches, was the heroine in the third set as she scored eight points including the match winner that bounced off the block of VakifBank.ADVERTISEMENT BREAKING: Solicitor General asks SC to forfeit ABS CBN’s franchise
In North WestPolice are still combing the Barima River in the North West District of Region One in hope of finding fisherman Edward O’Neil alive or dead, after the boat in which he and 19-year-old Venezuelan national Kamal Hosea were travelling crashed into a piece of wood and ran aground on Sunday at about 02:00hrs.The two were reportedly heading home after a night out drinking at the Kumaka Landing when the incident occurred.Informing that the Police are investigating the circumstances leading to the incident, Commander Ravindradat Budhram has said a search party is out combing the area in search of O’Neil. He said initial investigations have revealed that the duo were proceeding close to the bank of the river when the boat hit a wood before running into some bushes.Kamal told the Police that following the mishap he began combing the area for his friend, but did not locate him. An alarm was raised and residents in the area formed a search party, but their search yielded no results. Kamal was later taken to the Mabaruma Hospital where he is receiving treatment.In July, a father and son lost their lives after the boat in which they were travelling was hit by another boat belonging to the Mabaruma Hospital. George Piper and his son Ravin, 18, along with another man known only as ‘Wood,’ were tossed out of their vessel at the mouth of the Moruca River; and while the other man survived the accident, George and his son lost their lives.
Berlin: Bayern Munich’s record signing Lucas Hernandez took part in his first squad training session on Tuesday, four months after a serious knee operation, the Bundesliga champions reported on their website on Wednesday. The 23-year-old French World Cup winner has yet to feature for Bayern since his 80 million euro ($89 million) move from Atletico Madrid in March. His medical showed damage to the medial collateral ligament in his right knee that required an immediate operation. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over ChandigarhHernandez is unlikely to be ready for the opening game of the season against Hertha Berlin on August 16 but it is good news for his new teammates and manager Niko Kovac. “I think the most important thing for the time being is that he’s properly fit and starts to settle in,” German international Leon Goretzka told the Bayern website. The defender’s return coincides with a media broadside aimed at the club by striker Robert Lewandowski who has called on Bayern to bring in at least three new players. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced later”In attack we lost three players in the shape of Franck Ribery, Arjen Robben and James (Rodriguez),” Lewandowski told Sport Bild on Wednesday. “And for the moment we have no new recruits for these positions.” While Robben has retired, Frenchman Ribery is out of contract and seems likely to be heading to Saudi Arabia while James has come to the end of a two-year loan period and has returned, for the moment at least, to Real Madrid. Veteran defender Rafinha has also left in order to return to Brazil. So far this summer, Bayern have only reinforced their defence with French world champions Hernandez and Benjamin Pavard while promising 19-year-old striker Jann-Fiete Arp has arrived from Hamburg. The German champions have also been trying for weeks to attract Leroy Sane from Manchester City but no announcement has yet been made. “Even if Sane comes, we need another winger,” says Lewandowski who also called for a defensive midfielder or offensive midfielder. Bayern’s core team is made up of top-class internationals but, after the summer movement, the bench is now very shallow. “Playing an entire season with 13 or 14 experienced professionals, it’s going to be tough,” warns Lewandowski who has already discussed the matter with club president Uli Hoeness and chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge. “We have 50 or 60 games, so do not just think about next week but at three, four, five or six months. And for that we do not have enough players. Hoeness and Rummenigge know my opinion.” Hoeness and Rummenigge have promised to reinforce the playing ranks as they set their sights on the double of Bundesliga and Champions League.